WHAT IS MY MINISTRY ??
HOW TO FIND YOUR GIFT
"EVERY GOOD GIFT AND EVERY PERFECT GIFT IS FROM ABOVE, AND COMES DOWN FROM THE FATHER."
God's gifts are perfect, even if the receivers are not. They are not earned, nor retained by good works. They are unmerited gifts. We should all, as Christians, have gifts operating in our lives. The church should have many gifts in operation. In too many churches the gift of "pew-sitting" is the predominant gift. The Spirit does not intend to have such churches.
"ALL GOOD THINGS ARE GIVEN US FREELY."
Freely, the Lord offered to fill us with the Spirit (Luke 11:13). Freely, the Spirit offers us gifts. Yet, many saints do not appropriate these free gifts by faith (Matthew 9:29, Romans 12:6). The value of these gifts is unimaginable. Yet, if one were told they had won a million dollars, would they neglect to collect it? Then why are we supposed to believe that people truly value the gifts, if they don't hunger, seek, desire, covet, and appropriate them as soon as they can???? Since they are truly of the greatest value, let's show the Spirit we value them and desire them as we should.
These gifts are to continue during the church age. Tongues, prophecy, and knowledge are to cease when that "WHICH IS PERFECT IS COME"(I Cor. 13:8-13). "THAT WHICH IS PERFECT" is Christ. He has not yet come. When He does, those three gifts will not be necessary, for those three inform us what He has to say to us. When He is come, He Himself can inform us what He wants to say. He will no longer have to say it through those gifts of the Spirit. Now during the church age, we need to know what the Lord wants to tell us, and one method He uses is through these gifts of the Spirit.
How do we discover our gift?
1. Start with prayer. Ask God to direct you to the proper gifts. (Philippians 4:6-7)
2. Study the various gifts. Know what they are, and define each gift and its importance.
3. Which gift do you desire the most? It is all right to aspire to a particular gift. All desire for spiritual gifts comes from God. So the gift you desire the most, is probably the one God wants you most to have.
4. Confirmation will come by the exercise of the gift in your life. Look for the workings of God. Ask someone with the gift that you desire to lay hands on you and pray for you to receive the gift for which you've prayed.
5. Blessings will follow the exercise to your gifts.
I Cor. 12:7
"BUT THE MANIFESTATION OF THE SPIRIT IS GIVEN TO EVERY MAN TO PROFIT WITHAL."
The purpose of the gifts is to edify, bless, and build up. If your gifts do not do these things, something is out of order. The greatest use of gifts is to evangelize. God doesn't give gifts just to entertain an adolescent church that just wants to see more and more miracles. But He will give more and more miracles to aid us in winning souls. If your gift is operating properly, you will see it work with the other gifts in the church to encourage and allow souls to be won.
6. Remember to thank the Lord for these gifts. Then also remember to ask for more gifts. Don't ever be satisfied with what you have. Paul had many gifts. God is no respecter of persons. So we may ask for many also. The more gifts we have, the more useful we may be for God.