THE INITIAL SINS OF SODOM
1. And Abraham rose and did all that God ordered him, and he took the men of his household and those bought with his money, and he circumcised them as the Lord had commanded him.
2. And there was not one left whom he did not circumcise, and Abraham and his son Ishmael were circumcised in the flesh of their foreskin; thirteen years old was Ishmael when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin.
3. And in the third day Abraham went out of his tent and sat at the door to enjoy the heat of the sun, during the pain of his flesh.
4. And the Lord appeared to him in the plain of Mamre, and sent three of his ministering angels to visit him, and he was sitting at the door of the tent, and he lifted his eyes and saw, and lo, three men were coming from a distance, and he rose up and ran to meet them, and he bowed down to them and brought them into his house.
5. And he said to them, If now I have found favor in your sight, turn in and eat a morsel of bread; and he pressed them, and they turned in and he gave them water and they washed their feet, and he placed them under a tree at the door of the tent.
6. And Abraham ran and took a calf, tender and good, and he hastened to kill it, and gave it to his servant Eliezer to dress.
7. And Abraham came to Sarah into the tent, and he said to her, Make ready quickly three measures of fine meal, knead it and make cakes to cover the pot containing the meat, and she did so.
8. And Abraham hastened and brought before them butter and milk, beef and mutton, and gave it before them to eat before the flesh of the calf was sufficiently done, and they did eat.
9. And when they had done eating, one of them said to him, I will return to thee according to the time of life, and Sarah thy wife shall have a son.
10. And the men afterward departed and went their ways, to the places to which they were sent.
11. In those days all the people of Sodom and Gomorrah, and of the whole five cities, were exceedingly wicked and sinful against the Lord, and they provoked the Lord with their abominations, and they strengthened in acting abominably and scornfully before the Lord, and their wickedness and crimes were in those days great before the Lord.
12. And they had in their land, a very extensive valley, about half a day's walk, and in it there were fountains of water and a great deal of herbage surrounding the water.
13. And all the people of Sodom and Gomorrah went there four times in the year, with their wives and children and all belonging to them, and they rejoiced there with timbrels and dances.
14. And in the time of rejoicing they would all rise and lay hold of their neighbor's wives, and some, the virgin daughters of their neighbors, and they enjoyed them, and each man saw his wife and daughter in the hands of his neighbor, and did not say a word.
15. And they did so from morning to night, and they afterward returned home each man to his house and each woman to her tent; so they always did four time in the year.
16. Also when a stranger came into their cities and brought goods which he had purchased with a view to dispose of there, the people of these cities would assemble, men and women and children, young and old, and go to the men and take his goods by force, giving a little to each man until there was an end to all the goods of the owner which he had brought into the land.
17. And if the owner of the goods quarreled with them, saying, What is this work which you have done to me, then they would approach to him one by one, and each would show him the little which he took and taunt him, saying, I only took that little which thou didst give me; and when he heard this from them all, he would arise and go from them in sorrow and bitterness of soul, when they would all arise and go after him, and drive him out of the city with great noise and tumult.
18. And there was a man from the country of Elam who was leisurely going on the road, seated upon his ass, which carried a fine mantle of divers colors, and the mantle was bound with a cord upon the ass.
19. And the man was on his journey passing through the street of Sodom when the sun set in the evening, and he remained there in order to abide during the night, but no one would let him into his house; and at that time, there was in Sodom, a wicked and mischievous man, one skillful to do evil, and his name as Hedad.
20. And he lifted up his eyes, and saw the traveler in the street of the city, and he came to him and said, Whence comest thou, and whither dost thou go?
21. And the man said to him, I am traveling from Hebron to Elam, where I belong, and as I passed the sun set and no one would suffer me to enter his house, though I had bread and water, and also straw and provender for my ass, and am short of nothing.
22. And Hedad answered and said to him, All that thou shalt want shall be supplied by me, but in the street, thou shalt not abide all night.
23. And Hedad brought him to his house, and he took off the mantle from the ass with the cord, and brought them to his house, and he gave the ass straw and provender whilst the traveler ate and drank in Hedad's house, and he abode there that night.
24. And in the morning the traveler rose up early to continue his journey, when Hedad said to him, Wait, comfort thy heart with a morsel of bread and then go, and the man did so; and he remained with him, and they both ate and drank together during the day, when the man rose up to go.
25. And Hedad said to him, Behold now the day is declining, thou hadst better remain all night that thy heart may be comforted; and he pressed him so that he tarried there all night, and on the second day, he rose up early to go away, when Hedad pressed him, saying, Comfort thy heart with a morsel of bread and then go; and he remained and ate with him also the second day, and then the man rose up to continue his journey.
26. And Hedad said to him, Behold now the day is declining, remain with me to comfort thy heart and in the morning rise up early and go thy way.
27. And the man would not remain, but rose and saddled his ass, and whilst he was saddling his ass the wife of Hedad said to her husband, Behold, this man has remained with us for two days, eating and drinking, and he has given us nothing, and now shall he go away from us without giving anything: and Hedad said to her, Be silent.
28. And the man saddled his ass to go, and he asked Hedad to give him the cord, and mantle to tie it upon the ass.
29. And Hedad said to him, What sayest thou? And he said to him, That thou, my lord, shalt give me the cord and the mantle made with divers colors which thou didst conceal with thee in thy house to take care of it.
30. And Hedad answered the man saying, This is the interpretation of thy dream, the cord which thou didst see, means that thy life will be lengthened out like a cord, and having seen the mantle colored with all sorts of colors means that thou shalt have a vineyard in which thou wilt plant trees of all fruits.
31. And the traveler answered, saying, Not so my lord, for I was awake when I gave thee the cord and also a mantle woven with different colors, which thou didst take off the ass to put them by for me; and Hedad answered and said, Surely I have told thee the interpretation of thy dream, and it is a good dream, and this is the interpretation thereof.
32. Now the sons of men give four pieces of silver, which is my charge for interpreting dreams, and of thee only I require three pieces of silver.
33. And the man was provoked at the words of Hedad, and he cried bitterly, and he brought Hedad to Serak, judge of Sodom.
34. And the man laid his cause before Serak, the judge, when Hedad replied saying, It is not so, but thus the matter stands; and the judge said to the traveler, This man Hedad telleth thee truth, for he is famed in the cities for the accurate interpretation of dreams.
35. And the man cried at the word of the judge, and he said, Not so, my lord, for it was in the day that I gave him the cord and mantle which was upon my ass, in order to put them by in his house, and they both disputed before the judge, the one saying, Thus the matter was, and the other declaring otherwise.
36. And Hedad said to the man, Give me four pieces of silver that I charge for my interpretation of dreams; I will not make any allowance; and give me the expense of the four meals that thou didst eat in my house.
37. And the man said to Hedad, Truly, I will pay thee for what I ate in thy house, only give me the cord and mantle which thou didst conceal in thy house.
38. And Hedad replied before the judge and said to the man, Did I not tell thee the interpretation of thy dream? the cord means that thy days shall be prolonged like a cord, and the mantle, that thou wilt have a vineyard in which thou wilt plant all kinds of fruit trees.
39. This is the proper interpretation of thy dream, now give me the four pieces of silver that I require as a compensation, for I will make thee no allowance.
40. And the man cried at the words of Hedad, and they both quarreled before the judge, and the judge gave orders to his servants, who drove them rashly from the house.
41. And they want away quarreling from the judge, when the people of Sodom heard them, and they gathered about them, and they exclaimed against the stranger, and they drove him rashly from the city.
42. And the man continued his journey upon his ass with bitterness of soul, lamenting and weeping.
43. And whilst he was going along he wept at what had happened to him in the corrupt city of Sodom.
SINS GO FROM BAD TO WORSE,
SIN DEGRADES AS IT INCREASES
Sodom and Gomorrah were known to be wicked places. The story here in Jasher shows how evil the corrupt minds of its citizens had become. They lied, deceived, cheated, and stole. The man Hedad used clever, cunning, and yet - evil - methods to take much from the traveler.
The Bible shows that these initial sins degraded and degraded until their minds became reprobate, and the great sin of these cities became homosexuality. This has become a political "hot potato" in these last days. Laws are being written to give "special" (not simply "equal") rights to the homosexuals of today. Schools are teaching homosexuality as an "alternate lifestyle" and promoting it as a moral choice. The governments are condoning it, but Christians need to avoid the influence of media, government officials, and others who promote what the Bible calls wicked, as being good.
"And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are these men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them."
"There shall be no whore of the daughters of Israel, nor a sodomite (a person guilty of unnatural sexual relations, as between the same sex, or with beasts) of the sons of Israel. Thou shalt not bring the hire of a whore, or the price of a dog (Hebrew word = qadesh, = a male devotee to licentious idolatry, practicing prostitution with the same sex), into the house of the Lord thy God for any vow; for even both of these are abomination unto the Lord thy God."
"Even as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange (Greek word = heteros = another of a different kind, men with men, or angels with women, all being contrary to nature) flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire."
"For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections; for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature; and likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet. And even as they did not retain God in their knowledge, god gave them over to a reprobate mind to do those things which are not convenient... knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them."
Homosexuality is characterized by an unnatural sexual attraction for members of one's own sex. The term "homosexual" may apply to either sex, the term "lesbian" applies to women only.
Active homosexuality causes some to solicit others to engage in homosexual perversion, and may bring some to commit homosexual rape. Active homosexuals are often repulsed by the thought of relations with the opposite sex. Some wear the clothes of the opposite sex (transvestism), and even change their names. Often the homosexual is fearful of involvement with the opposite sex, and turns to members of his or her own sex in order to receive gratification.
In this godless world, we have seen many turn to many different types of sexual perversion. In Romans 1:24-32, we see that the reason for God turning their minds over to such perversion, is the rejection of God. The main reason for homosexuality is the apostasy of mankind, and the sinful refusal to worship God.
A strong program of spiritual development for the believer, and the genuine conversion of the unsaved are vitally important to the battle against this sin. We must love the sinner, but hate the sin. Then we must get the ones engaged in such sin to realize their need to be saved. They will not seek to remove the "reprobate mind" until they have come to know the need of spiritual conversion.
The homosexual knows that his or her actions are not pleasing to God, and will seek to assuage that guilt in many different ways. They will form their own churches, they will often become preachers, teachers, leaders in established churches, they will attack any who call homosexuality a sin, they will seek to have government outlaw the right of Christians to preach the Bible as written against homosexuality, etc.
Repentance, and prayer to God for strength, will bring greater conviction upon the homosexual activities. This will enable the person to overcome them. Prayer, intercession, faith, the miraculous delivering power of God are all necessary in the deliverance of homosexuals from this perverted sin.
The laws in Congress make homosexuality a constitutionally protected civil right. This bill mocks the purpose of marriage and home that God intended. Churches will have to hire homosexuals. Homosexuals will be able to adopt any child. Schools teach homosexuality as an alternate life style. Churches will not be allowed to reject homosexuals for ordination.
If churches reject homosexuals for ordination, the church may be denied tax exemption. The homosexual will then be able to sue for damages and effectively close the church by legally being awarded an amount greater than the assets of the church. The elimination of the evangelical stand against the sin of sodomy is the goal of many in Congress.
Michael Swift, a well known militant homosexual activist, said--"All churches who condemn us will be closed."
The threats and intimidation of the government, the Internal Revenue Service, and the news media--have quieted many churches who are afraid of losing their tax exemptions. The recent court cases where churches are being sued for doing their evangelistic duties that God has commanded us to do--have made some want to quietly preach just a comforting message within their four safe walls. We must stand up for our faith. We must do the ministry that God has given us to do in these last days. If we don't, laws will be passed that will seriously affect us as Christians and the church.
We love the homosexuals, but we hate the sin of homosexuality. We love the abortionists, and still hate the murder of the unborn. We love our country, but we hate the sin of Congressmen who seek to rob us of our Constitutional rights to our religious beliefs. Do not heed those who would infer you have no right to speak your beliefs. Do not abandon your responsibility to vote out those who are about to vote such legislation into law.
In the parable of the ten virgins, Jesus said that all of them slumbered and slept. This is true about the Christians of the last days. We have all slept at one time or another. We have allowed "Roe vs. Wade" to kill nearly 35 million. We have allowed Congressmen to sodomize 17 year old aides, with a mere "slap on the wrists" as punishment. We are now faced with the possible laws that will educate our children to engage in a sin that God hates. We may face the closing of churches for opposing their immoral, unbiblical belief.
I Corinthians 6:9 Amplified Bible
"Do you not know that the unrighteous and the wrongdoers will not inherit or have any share in the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived (misled); neither the impure and immoral, not idolaters, nor those who participate in homosexuality."
It is very possible, (contrary to what many want you to believe) to be delivered from homosexuality. Just several verses after the one above is this verse:
I Corinthians 6:11 Amplified Bible
"And such some of you were (once). But you are washed clean (purified by a complete atonement for sin and made free from the guilt of sin); and you were consecrated (set apart, hallowed); and you were justified (pronounced righteous, by trust); in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Holy Spirit of our God."
So if many of the church which was at Corinth, in that day, had come out of such sins, including the sin of homosexuality, and were then "washed clean", "consecrated", and "justified", there can be the same kind of conversions and deliverance today. We should seek such, expect such, and preach the "good news" of such.
When a person commits themselves to God, God will have a miraculous change upon their whole being. The sexual appetites will also be affected. God can take away the lust of men for women, and the lust of men for men. He can demonstrate the power of the Holy Spirit, and show the power of God to remove the sinner from the grip of perversion and sin. Satisfactory adjustment, and more than that, spiritual deliverance for the sin and its guilt is vitally necessary and especially promised by God.
Romans 6:12-14 KJV
"Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin; but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto God. For sin shall not have dominion over you; for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
"For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness. What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed: for the end of those things is death. But now being made free from sin, and become the servants of God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
I John 1:9
"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
Atonement and forgiveness of sins includes the sin of homosexuality. We need not to hate such sinners, but to proclaim to them the "good news", the gospel, which is that their sins can be forgiven, and they can escape the "reprobate mind" of perversion along with its guilt.